06 April 2011

Tangled: Movie Review

I just had to do this. I was thinking about just posting up pictures from the movie, but decided I might as well review it as well. :) (plus, I had to tell Nana how much I actually like this movie)


Ok, so this is basically the story of Rapunzel. But what was really great about this movie is that they didn't just stick with the usual plot -- A mom needs a plant because she's sick, the dad goes off to steal it from a witches garden, then the witch keeps her locked up in a tower once she's born. This plot makes MUCH MORE SENSE. Again, definitely the best Disney princess movie. If any of y'all have watched The Princess and the Frog, you'll know how...uhh...weird...the plot was in that. A little disturbing, in my opinion. But believe me, Tangled is 100x better.

So, here's the basic storyline: There are a queen and king and a golden flower. The flower has the ability to heal and keep someone young forever. Then there's Mother Gothel. She's an old lady that tries to hide the flower to use it all for herself. But the queen gets sick...like really sick and the people start looking for the flower to make her better. Once they find it, they give it to the queen and she gets better. Then Rapunzel is born.

But Mother Gothel realizes that her flower is gone. She kidnaps Rapunzel to use her hair, which contains the magic flower's power. Rapunzel grows up and doesn't know who she is. All she know is that her "Mother" wants to keep her in the tower forever...supposedly to keep her safe. (see? Isn't this witch's reason to keep Rapunzel much better then the original story's?)

But that's when the handsome thief Flynn Rider appears...

And Rapunzel realizes that the outside world really isn't as scary as "Mother" had said it was.


I'll leave the rest for you to find out...so watch this! The animation is really great! None of the other Disney princess movies have animation like this one...and Rapunzel's hair is perfect. Then the characters are all perfect. And this story is different. There isn't any handsome prince in this one...:)

Oh, and the soundtrack is also really good. Look in my playlist for the songs sung by Mandy Moore and you can listen to some of the songs. :)

My Rating?
Characters: *********** (LOVE these characters)
Plot: ********* (ok...yeah...the plot's really good too...)
Overall rating: ******************** (you get the point. :P)

We watched this movie twice in 2 days. So believe me, it's pretty good. :D We were ready to compare this with Megamind and How to Train You Dragon...and it ended up passing pretty well. So check it out! See if you like it!

3 comments:

Madeleine said...

Great Review Vivi! It makes me want to watch it (which is the goal, right?)

Näna said...

Well, you know what I thought of the plot overall (I'll write a post on what exactly I didn't like). But I will admit that it's much better then the original Grimm's story. Although, it doesn't cast a shadow on the version KK tells (she's our official story teller) where the witch raps "Rapunzel, Rapunzel let down your long hair." and something about bringing home the bacon and frying it. She had me cracking up. I think KK missed her calling as a rap artist. Oh you should also here the Princess and the Pea story KK tells where she can't sleep all night so goes to Starbucks about a million time and makes lanterns out of the empty Starbucks cups.

Love,
Nana

Olivia said...

@Leia: In this case, yes! So thank you! ;)

@Nana: Haha...yeah, I should hear her sometime. :P